Introduction to Shotgun Shooting
1 hour classroom time
1 hour of on range time
what to expect
Introduction to Shotgun Shooting at The Gallery teaches shotgun with a defensive mindset. The shotgun is an excellent tool for home defense. The course includes a demonstration of various shot shells fired at drywall barriers, simulating the interior of a home, to determine wall penetration of various shotgun loads. Students will understand the wide range of ammunition available for the shotgun and which are best for their particular use. We cover basics such as stance, grip, sight picture, trigger pull and follow through with emphasis on recoil management and addressing multiple targets. Range time included in the class includes addressing multiple targets, moving targets and additional challenging drills.
This course also includes patterning your shotgun with birdshot, buckshot, and slugs at various ranges to understand the spread of projectiles at different distances. Use of the shotgun for home defense includes a discussion of accessories for the defensive shotgun, the use of a sling, close quarters carry techniques and shotgun shooting range drills addressing multiple targets.
- Objective 1: Understand Defensive Shotgun basics including equipment, ammunition, and firearm basics.
- Objective 2: Provide an understanding of the many types of ammunition available for the shotgun, their uses and selection of appropriate ammunition for your application.
- Objective 3: Gain an understanding of slings, ready carry techniques and close quarters combat with a long gun.
- Objective 4: Discuss and understand shotgun loading and keeping the gun running with multiple targets.
- Objective 5: Understand how to manage shotgun recoil and quickly recover the sights to address multiple targets.